Make this Real Deal Southern Caramel Cake Recipe, which is arguably the best and authentic, you can find on the Internet! Let’s find out the recipe below!
This three-layered, real deal southern caramel cake recipe is filled with caramel icing, that melts in your mouth instantly!
The fun fact about this cake is, many people don’t know about it until the movie named, “The Help” mentioned it! Besides, you can also try our strawberry shortcake ooey gooey butter cake recipe!
Real Deal Southern Caramel Cake Recipe
Prep Time: 10 Mins
Cook Time: 20 Mins
Total Time: 30 Mins
Yields: 12 Servings
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter (room temperature 2 sticks)
- 1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 3 Cups Cake Flour, Sifted
- 6 Large Eggs (room temperature)
- 2 Large Egg Yolks (room temperature)
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Pure Vanilla Extract
For Caramel Icing:
- 2 Cans Evaporated Milk (12 Ounces each)
- 2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 Sticks Butter
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- Three 9 inch Round Cake Pans
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Medium-Sized Bowl
- Electric Mixer
- Cooling Racks
- Baking Spray
- First, preheat the oven at 350 degrees F.
- Add cream butter, oil, eggs, vanilla, sugar, and egg yolks into a large mixing bowl.
- Beat them with an electric mixer on high speed for 4-6 minutes, to get them combined properly.
- Now, mix salt, cake flour, and baking powder into a medium-sized bowl on slow speed until fully incorporated.
- Take three 9 inch round cake pans and apply baking spray & flour onto them.
- Pour the above-prepared batter into the individual pans.
- Put the pans into the oven and bake them around 25-30 minutes, until they become golden in color.
- After that, take out pans from the oven and put them on the cooking racks for 8-10 minutes.
For Caramel Icing
- Add butter, evaporated milk, along with sugar into a saucepan and heat it onto the stove to melt them properly.
- Turn the heat from medium to low and stir it for 1.5-2 hours to get thickened golden brown caramel.
- While stirring the mix, be careful to adjust the temperature, to not let it burn.
- Now, take out the saucepan from the stove and cool for about 15-20 minutes to let it thickened properly.
- Finally, ice your cake as desired and serve them immediately.
Note: If you don’t know, how to ice a layered cake, then read this article!